Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Believe















During the drive home tonight, I was listening to "Believe" by Yellowcard. Probably one of my favorite songs because every time I listen to it certain parts just flat out give me goosebumps. I don't know the specific inspiration for writing it, besides it being in tribute to 9/11; nor do I know exactly what the writer's intentions were with every line, etc., in terms of what he means or is trying to say. I do however know what it makes me think of. Let's start with the song lyrics:

Think about the love inside the strength of heart
Think about the heroes saving life in the dark

Climbing higher through the fire, time was running out

Never knowing you weren't going to be coming down alive
But you still came back for me

You were strong and you believed


Everything is gonna be alright
Everything is gonna be alright
Everything is gonna be alright
Be strong. Believe.

Be strong. Believe.


Think about the chance I never had to say

Thank you for giving up your life that day

Never fearing, only hearing voices calling out

Let it all go, the life that you know, just to bring me down alive

And you still came back for me

You were strong and you believed

I just can't help but picture what it would have been like to be one of the rescue workers sprinting in and out of the building to save lives. Literally everything else in life was of complete disregard, irrelevant to the job at hand. They were called to absolute and complete obedience. Never fearing, only hearing voices calling out. Let it all go, the life that you know, just to bring me down alive.

I think this kind of absolute single minded obedience is what Christ calls us to in a lot of ways. Literally nothing outside of Him and His will and glory has any value or bearing on life and what we are called to. We cannot serve two masters. It's either sin or God. Only then, when we stand in the full power of His grace, can we be strong and believe everything will be all right.

2 comments:

Crosby said...

I totally agree. This is definitely one of my favorite songs. The men and women who sacrificed themselves on 9/11 did what they had to do to save as many as possible.

Anonymous said...

When do we get a Pruett update?