Wednesday, July 18, 2007

2+2 leads to Advanced Calculus

















Well, since I now have you thoroughly confused from the title of this post, I'll go ahead and start clarifying. First, I love driving, especially at night, by myself. It is just a great time to think about life, listen to a sermon, whatever. Something about smoothly moving through the darkness just lends itself to that kind of time.

Anyways, driving home last night, I was thinking about God's providence and hand in our lives. One thing I've noticed in the last few years is that, for whatever reason, He has become much more direct in rebuking me and showing my my sins. Sometimes He leads me to repentance pretty quick, and other times he lets me run with it, so when I am finally humbled, it hits even harder. In the end, he is working everything towards His perfect will. For example, anytime I try to read or do something in order to make me more righteous, I literally can't focus or do it. Even if I do manage to force myself to sit down, it's like pulling teeth. I have to literally stop, repent and pray, then figure out if there is something else I should be doing with that time instead, or if it was simply my motives getting in the way. However, I firmly believe God does everything and works everything together on His own time and by His own prerogative. I probably wouldn't have as clear an understanding of my own attempts at righteousness being sin, if I hadn't been given so much time to falter in it.

Which brings me to 2+2 = Advanced Calculus. It is unfathomable to understand simple multiplication, let alone Calc, without first understanding simple addition. 6 times 4 is simply adding together the number 6 four times. It is impossible to in any way understand multiplication without addition. The significant distance between addition and calc pales in comparison to the difference between what man at first knows about God and what God really is (any knowledge being solely by the grace of God). However, God starts somewhere, with small matters, in an effort to continually build upon and broaden our understanding of an infinite God, while at the same time sanctifying, and all this largely through the process of repentance and forgiveness. Romans 12:1-3 speaks to the same thing:

"1Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.

2And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

3For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith."


Amen, the word of the Lord.


P.S. - it's really hard to find a good picture when you talk about three different things in one post . . .

No comments: