Thursday, April 19, 2007

Deafening Silence



















I think the biggest obstacle to hearing the God of the universe is us. "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10
I really like the NASB, because it says "Cease striving." That's why when we spend time, say, in the mountains of God's creation, we often experience an overwhelming sense of His grandeur and presence. We are removed from our lives in all the noise. He is always there, he is actively speaking to us. It is just so critical to the entire outcome of my day that it starts with a few minutes of silence. Be it prayer, reading the word, listening to a worship song, that communion with God sets everything back in rhythm. Read the beginning of a River Runs Through It, if you haven't ever, or for a much more articulate explanation of this.

Small side point, completely unrelated, I feel like so many things that I am convicted of are head knowledge that is being thrust into understanding in the soul. More often than not, I have at times had the same convictions. Maybe they dim in the soul over time because of my sin, or maybe He lets/makes it. Because in the end, the conviction comes, draws me closer to Him, and all works to His glory, His highest aim.

It's 1:30 AM, I've been hanging out w/ a small glass of the Rangpur and tonic, and I need bed. G'night.