Friday, April 20, 2007

Drive



















If I could just drive for a living, I probably would. Not like NASCAR racing drive, or any racing for that matter. Just get paid to drive. Mountains. Forests. Plains. Sea side. Anywhere, just drive. On the way home tonight, I had, for lack of a better word, and epiphany. Not in the truest, life-altering, mind bending kind of way. Sometimes things just click in my head, like a giant jigsaw puzzle that suddenly all magically comes together. That's what I mean by epiphany.

Anyways, I'm scanning around on the radio, desperately searching for something to listen to, becoming frustrated because I've heard all the songs so many times, I just want something new. Then it dawns on me, hey, why don't you just TURN IT OFF!!! Huzzah! So I've got the radio off, just talking to Jesus, thinking about how great it is to just drive on an empty winding road, and it hits me. A lot of my life that I've been wrestling with lately can be understood in my radio dilemma. I sometimes get caught up searching for whatever will seem to satisfy me at any given moment. And eventually, it all gets boring because I've had it or done it or heard it too many times. Sometimes I even approach righteousness in this way, reading or praying or listening to a sermon because I want to, not because the Spirit moves me but because it will make me feel more holy. What is eternally more satisfying, long lasting, and just flat out better is putting myself at the feet of my God, my Father, my Savior, my King. It can be painful, different, and always involves sacrificing my pride. But the best things I can learn to do for full life in Christ is this daily realization.

It's moments like tonight, when some seemingly mundane or unspiritual thing clicks and opens a whole new way to see God and my relationship with Him, that I realize he truly works for the good of those who love him, in every part of creation and moment of my days.

Oh, and PS, a lot of radio HAS gone to crap. Case in point, Avril's new song "Hey You I Don't Like Your Girlfriend" I generally like her stuff, but this song . . . such a bad message but disgustingly catchy. If you catch me whistling it, singing it, humming it, or in any way supporting it, increasingly harder smacks to the back of the head are completely appropriate and appreciated.

Good night, blogging world (you 5 people that actually probably have ever read this, lol)

3 comments:

shannon akers said...

i like this analogy.

it fits you and your driving ways.

and i am one of those fab five that read your blog (huzzah!)

Crosby said...

Pru, you hit the nail on the head. Driving with the radio off is almost like walking a trail. It's just you, God, and His creation (and your car). It's crazy how much God is longing for that silence so we can shut up and listen.

P.S. I am honored to have been the first person to smack you in the head.

Anonymous said...

i'm wondering if maybe we could be blogspot friends...

please say yes. please say yes.

have great days.